Thursday, September 6, 2007

Finally, the Start Point…and a prelude to Disaster.

445am: I woke up on schedule thanks to my trusty PDA.

Breakfast is 2 hard-boiled eggs (they turn out runny instead!), a bowl of cereals with milk, topped with banana slices. I wash them down with a warm glass of pollen honey.

535am: I'm outside and hailing a cab. It' s good that my bike had already been checked-in yesterday. A lot of taxis do not want to ferry passengers with bikes -even though the bikes can be dismantled easily into their boots.

6am: Nearer to F2 Car park at the East Coast Parkway, there's already a jam of cars. Taking the suggestion of the driver, I alight earlier and walk about 300m to T1 (transition 1 area) for body-marking and race-preparation.

It's a long queue and you could feel the excitement in the air amidst the crowed of lycra- garbed silhouettes. Many have come with families, friends and spouses. (My supporters were still dreaming in bed) . I could see the pros (Matt & his team mates) at their bikes, primping and pumping their bikes. Finally, I got my arms stamped with the main sponsor's logo and my race number and I proceeded to find my bike. Loading up the drinks into my bike, I look around for familiar faces. There's Murray, the gym instructor who did the Ironman Korea. I went over to shake his hand and we exchange well wishes. I also see William, my lecturer at uni. I give him the thumbs-up and wish him a safe rest.

Shortly after, my good friend - the one with the spine condition (no, not that hunchback with bell duties) came over to offer to help pump my bike tyres. I said yes (Oppps!).

2 comments:

Shaolin said...

Excellent blog! I can really feel the heart pumping action as I read through it. Must say ah, your 'that' friend needs to attend a bike maintenance course. Looking forward to Parts 3 and 4 ..and most of all, your upcoming IM blog! ;-)

Half ironman wannabe said...

Yeah, thanks for the compliment, professor. Must write in to your supervisor to get that bike course into the syllabus! :-)