Saturday, September 22, 2007

Swim Flash-back

Here comes a flash-back (please feel free to skip this next few bits if you wish)

Usually, the swim start is great place to have a moment of truth (actually, panic is a better word) when you realize what a mess you have got into. There's no lane lines in the sea, you can't see the bottom & there's no burly lifeguard to call for help. Therefore, I guess it's only human to have thoughts like these bouncing off your head after your first few strokes in the sea:"What have I gotten myself into this time? Why did I ever sign up for this event? I could be enjoying a nice breakfast at the East Coast hawker centre right now. "

(PS. Post-race , I realized I didn't feel any of the above. Probably I was too focused on reaching the first buoy, and of course seeing someone more 'chicken' than you at the beach also helps.)

3 comments:

Shaolin said...

Excellent blog! I guess practically everyone dreams, but few would do anything about it. For our first HIM, I thought it took a bout of ‘madness’ to brace ourselves into signing up. THAT made all the difference ;-)

Half ironman wannabe said...

Thanks Prof! I guess also there's a fine line between madness & blind bravado!

Shaolin said...

Things have changed rapidly in the tri-scene. Doing an HIM / IM, while always physically taxing, is no longer considered extreme. Real challenge is discipline & time management. Think we'll do fine. IM here we come soon! :-)