Wednesday, September 5, 2007

In the laps of the gods... (Sept 1, 2007 Evening)

I was fortunate to be invited to a a pro triathlon team's sacred ritual before a major race: the carbo loading dinner. This was my chance to see how much these pros really eat the night before . So there I was, in the laps of the (triathlon) gods at a swanky italian restaurant in the heart of town.

I sat beside Matt (who just run pro this year). Sitting at the table were also the other pros from various places like Brazil, Scotland, England and Canada. Amongst them were the 1st place winner of the recent Ironman Korea, and also podium finishers of recent ironman/half ironman races. Turns out that Matt worked in various jobs before turning pro -waiting on tables, subway sandwich maker, bank teller, farmer, gardener etc. etc. I guess we better be nice to those who wait on us -you never know that waiter could be a future ironman champ.

I had a good time. The pros are just as human as you and I. The only inhuman stuff they do is that they race ironman/half ironman races on a regular schedule. Just another day at the office for them.

Oh, and they eat about the same stuff and amount as I did on carbo loading night.


PS. Tip: Don't ever get an ironman to iron decals on your race suit. Apparently they are not very good with the a real iron and an ironing board. Sorry Matt, but I think you better stick to your day job... :-)

No comments: