Wednesday, October 24, 2007

On my Last Legs

Further along the Marina path, we passed below the Nicoll highway into the Kallang area. Feeling a bit uncomfortable, I decided to pay a visit to the little boys' room. I was dehydrated all right from the colour of my urine. As I continued my run, I drank more regularly from the small bottles of Pocari in my race belt. I plan to replenish the bottles as soon as they are finished -however, I was also careful not to gulp down too much liquids in case I develop side cramps; which are much harder to work off and they last much longer. The turnaround point ended just before the National Stadium; as if for us to pay homage to the 'Grand Old Lady' of Kallang which would become dust and rubble very soon.

Running across the Nicoll highway was more bearable as the sea brought in a light breeze from the south. As I ran across the Nicoll highway, I could see below me, one of the PC (physically challenged) athlete straining with gloved hands to propel himself where his feet could not. Recognizing him, I wanted to cheer him on but he quickly sped off out of sight. An amazing individual who completed marathons across many continents; through harsh and inhospitable lands for noble causes.

Nicoll highway was hot compared to the shady vistas of the marina path. Water points were great relief for a quick sip and dousing the body with cool sponges. At this juncture I could see some runners stopping to walk or just standing to stretch their cramped legs. The heat has taken its toll on some. Pressing on, I tried to maintain my cadence as I run briskly run the highway. Soon I find myself approaching the Champs area again. Another round to complete the half-marathon run.

I was not sure if I could make it for my (now revised target) time of a sub-6 hour finish.

No comments: