Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Crossing the Finishing Line

At last as I made the turn into the Esplanade and into Elizabeth walk for the final stretch, a welcomed drizzle of rain greeted us.

The final run-down to the tape was actually not very exciting. There were not many runners around as I trotted onto the floating platform (supposedly the biggest in the world) down to the finishing line. There were some supporters on the side, with water sprays creating a sort of mist. More drizzle from the weather. Some techno-pop music was blaring. Puccini's Nessun Dorma would be a better choice with the Esplande house just 'round the corner. Opera-haters will no doubt get an extra jolt of adrenalin as they flee the music to cross the tape. I let a runner in front take the tape for a great photo finish; and I followed close behind. Hands raised, I crossed the finishing line and completed my first half ironman in less than 6 hours. Not bad I suppose, factoring my less-than-auspicious start at T1 and a toilet break. Guess I can't be too demanding for a meager average training investment of 4 hours per week.

Next blog entry –the end (I promise).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.